Today was full of calculations. How many triangles do I need cut to cover a metre of lighting / make a metre of brinicle?
And then how many triangles would I need to cover 5 metres. The answer to the first question is 45.6 and to the second question is 228.
Then I just made my brain explode a little when I multiplied it all by 10 as that is the number of 5m brinicles I am intending to create.
I have to quite consciously make sure I don’t go down the slightly ocd rabbit hole and give myself another repetitive strain injury [my poor hands and my stupid brain for coming up with these projects], but I can’t help myself it seems.
So I will try and break up the repetition with some other tasks – not sure what they will be just yet but it will probably be some painting and drawing as the other option – garage/studio tidying and organising doesn’t appeal at the moment [unless I am totally procrastinating]
So, here are today’s images which sort of reveal the process of recycling past iceberg/ice shelf geometric shapes and off cuts into new smaller equilateral triangles to make brinicles/brine tubes.
It just came to my attention that I had neglected to add this link to a Sonic Postcard project that I was involved in with my mates NIWA oceanographer Craig Stevens and curator Katharine Allard. It is an hour long podcast exploring Antarctica and where art, science and sound/music collide. Thanks to Craig for making it happen. Enjoy.
Meanwhile back in the studio/dining table – the polar blast means that my unheated studio is a little hostile. And I have just had to remove some paw prints from the beginnings of a new painting-ish thing.
Hello there, sorry it has been so long but this year has already taken a few twists and turns and I am only just getting back into the studio.
My attention is now on an installation I am developing for the Expressions gallery in Upper Hutt, NZ in May.
This will be a new site specific work that will have a community focus in much the same way as the Cleave Project 2013. The project, Heavy Water will involve the running of workshops in local schools where the kids will contribute to the making of the actual art work that will be displayed in the gallery. I will be cutting down and recycling the paper components from 2013′s projects into smaller triangles to create the work.
These smaller components will form a “brine tube” that will extend from the ceiling of the gallery and will then reach the ground [about 4-5m in length]. The level of community involvement will determine the number of these “brine tubes” that will be installed.
For more information of Brine Tubes and link to the video that initiated my interest in these icy structures check out this BBC link
This is what all the above looks like in my studio:
Just as I was reviewing these images, I realised how unimpressive they are but you have to imagine that these “brine tubes” will be internally lit with LED lights and these will be the only lighting source in the gallery….watch this space
Order Structure Pattern #2 has been up for over a week now. I have had to go back to the gallery to do an evening of tightening and shifting as the structure settles. It was great to have some more time alone with the work – after some space from it too. This also got me thinking about how different it is for an artwork/installation like I make to have a life longer than a couple of months in a site. I can imagine that I will need to go in every month or so during the 11-12 months of this exhibition’s life for maintenance as the work will never be completely static. I always have a repair and maintenance strategy for my installations but I have never really had to think further ahead than two months. Such a long lifespan for a temporary, site specific installation is an entirely new way of working for me and was one that I was not completely prepared for. I am afraid there will be a lot of ‘wait and see’ with Order Structure Pattern #2 which I am not overly comfortable with, but on the upside, it means I will be visiting the work often and will learn from this extended process. I’ll let you know how it all goes.
On Monday day and then into the night, Order, Structure, Pattern #2 got pulled and snipped into its final shape. Yesterday the lighting was finished and today the work was finally open to the public along with the Leading Edge exhibition at the National Library of NZ. 2000 metres of rope and extension cord and 4000+ cable ties.
Here are some images of those final stages where I worked in the dark at the National Library – well, I had the lights on but it was me and the security guards and the podcasts.
and voila! This is not the actual view of the finished work as the black blinds have been lifted and you will be able to see through the work to the exhibition behind – further complicating the work. However, the audience will be able to navigate the work in the internal gallery where the view will vary and all will be revealed! More images to come soon as well as another time lapse.
order structure pattern #2 from Gabby O'Connor on Vimeo.
Here is the time lapse of the installation process so far [day 5].
Thanks to Lucinda and the lovely volunteers Angela and Kate for helping speed things along.
Still have a couple of more days finishing the blue, yellow and pink sections but the end is in sight.
Today is day four of the install. The work is taking shape, slowly and surely. Thanks to my trusty assistant Lucinda, we are keeping to schedule too and have used almost 2000 cable ties so far. It is great to have conversation during the process as well as to have someone to celebrate the small victories with. We do feel like animals in the zoo though in our glass box for all to see!