In the studio this week I have been trying to resolve some Tyvek dying issues as mentioned before. I thought that I had come up with the perfect solution – I found some powdered fabric dye specifically for unnatural fibres. Optimistically I prepared the dye bath and cut some paper down. I also cut some samples of perforated signage vinyl to test also.
To cut a long and now boring story short. It was mostly a failed exercise. The Tyvek didn’t dye as I thought. It went a weird faded violety grey colour which isn’t very ice-shelf like. The more fabric like Tyvek only dyed in an acid-wash style – like faded purple/blue denim which wasn’t ideal either. The perforated signage vinyl worked though.
So – back to what I know and time to stop experimenting and trying too many new things at once. The shellac-dye combo works, so that is what we will go with until it runs out. I am also lucky that I will be able to use coloured lighting – so effectively the light becomes the dye which nicely removes one step in the already labour intensive process.

Alongside all this dye business, I have been gathering and tracing and cutting triangles and the piles are adding up.

I also spoke at SCAR14 on Monday- an international Antarctic Science conference held in Auckland this year. I got to talk in a very animated manner with and about the outreach/art-sci comm workshops that I run with my collaborator Craig Stevens.
I felt very much like a fish out of water, but I hope that worked in my favour. It was an amazing privilege to be selected to talk with Craig about our theories and discoveries about pitching the idea of Antarctica under the guise of getting helpers for an art project to school kids and their teachers.
We were also speaking alongside some impressive researchers and to an equally amazing audience. It was both nerve wracking and exciting.

I have to get back to tracing and cutting triangles now, so for now, here are some pictures of the progress: